HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Fri Jan 18 08:08:09 UTC 2019

Adam Jackson wrote:

Hi,

> This isn't necessarily true. The server is free to just draw a black
> rectangle (or nothing) instead if the image doesn't match the target
> colorspace. If you want to handle the case of cloned outputs or
> crossing output borders, let the client attach one image per output
> colorspace if it wants, and let the server send the client events to
> indicate when it should start or stop drawing to a particular
> colorspace. You need that complexity in the client's renderer anyway,
> why add it to the server's?

yes, that crossed my mind. I'm wondering if in practice that is
overkill though. Maybe rendering specifically for one output is sufficient
as long as the secondary displays (however that is determined!) look
OK with a fallback conversion by the compositor. Multiple optimized
renderings per surface could always be added to the hybrid/fallback scheme
at a latter point ?

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.