API feedback for an alternate libwayland implementation tailored for ffi bindings

Drew DeVault sir at cmpwn.com
Mon Jul 1 19:08:13 UTC 2019

Hey Victor! I want to quickly thank you for all of your hard work
allowing Wayland to flourish in the Rust ecosystem, along with the rest
of the community that supports you.

Big +1 to more implementations of the Wayland protocol. wayland-rs is a
great example of this. However, if this discussion leads to "we should
replace libwayland upstream with something like this", hard NACK from
me. Such a move would shrink the pool of contributors, deeply affect
libwayland's portability (consider for example that I, personally, work
with Wayland on RISC-V, which is not supported by Rust), and
dramatically increase complexity and churn for questionable gains.

wayland-rs: woo-hoo!
libwayland RiiR: cause for forking

--
Drew DeVault