Detecting user idle time

Germano Massullo germano.massullo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 10:03:44 UTC 2019

Il giorno mar 4 giu 2019 alle ore 11:44 Simon Ser
<contact at emersion.fr> ha scritto:
> Could you explain what is your use-case? Why do you need access to such
> information?

I am implementing BOINC client user idle time detection. Originally I
was doing some attempts to achieve that by using systemd-logind
properties exposed on DBus, but it was not possible because no desktop
environment sends this information to logind (read thread
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-May/042496.html
)
A few days ago I implemented BOINC user idle time detection on GNOME
by using the GetIdletime property exposed by GNOME on DBus bus
org.gnome.Mutter.IdleMonitor
You can retrieve this info also by running on bash the command
dbus-send --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.Mutter.IdleMonitor
/org/gnome/Mutter/IdleMonitor/Core
org.gnome.Mutter.IdleMonitor.GetIdletime

Concerning KDE Plasma, I am going to use KIdleTime API
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kidletime/html/classKIdleTime.html

I would like to avoid adding so much fragmentation and libraries
dependencies, so I asked this question here, but unfortunately the
answer is negative.

Il giorno mar 4 giu 2019 alle ore 12:00 Pekka Paalanen
<ppaalanen at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I did file https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/issues/245
> which points to an email you sent. :-)

Nice, very appreciated!