[RFC wayland-protocols v2 1/1] Add the color-management protocol

Sebastian Wick sebastian at sebastianwick.net
Mon Mar 4 14:44:35 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-04 14:45, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> Hi Sebastian and Graeme
>
> On Mon, 04 Mar 2019 13:37:06 +0100
> Sebastian Wick <sebastian at sebastianwick.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-03-04 12:27, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>> > Hi Graeme,
>> >
>> > thank you for taking the time to explain this, much appreciated.
>> >
>> > I'm still wondering, if an application uses an ICC profile for the
>> > content it provides and defines an intent with it, should a compositor
>> > apply that intent when converting from application color space to the
>> > blending color space in the compositor?
>>
>> I think the correct approach would be to first convert from
>> application color space to the output color space using the intent and
>> then to blending color space. That way all colors in the blending
>> color space will fit in the output color space.
>>
>> > Should the same application provided intent be used when converting the
>> > composition result of the window to the output color space?
>>
>> When all blending color sources are in the output color space so is
>> the resulting color. No intent required.
>
> Right, this is what I did not realize until Graeme explained it. Very
> good.

>> > Btw. wl_surface.enter/leave is not unambigous, because they may
>> > indicate multiple outputs simultaneously. I did talk with you about
>> > adding an event to define the one output the app should be optimizing
>> > for, but so far neither protocol proposal has that.
>> >
>> > Niels, Sebastian, would you consider such event?
>>
>> My proposal has the zwp_color_space_feedback_v1 interface which is
>> trying to solve this issue by listing the color spaces a surface was
>> converted to in order of importance.
>
> Oh yes, indeed, sorry. We had a discussion going on about that.
>
> Either advertising the main output for the surface, or the compositor's
> preferred color space for the surface.
>
> I'm still a little confused here. If an application ICC profile
> describes how the content maps to PCS, and an output ICC profile
> describes how PCS map to the output space, and we always need both in
> the compositor to have a meaningful transformation of content to output
> space, what was the benefit of the app knowing the "primary output" or
> "preferred color space" for a surface?

Not requiring a color space transformation at all (in the best case)
by supplying a surface with the color space of the output.

> Especially if device link profiles are taken out, which removes the
> possibility of the application to provide its own color transformation.

If the application has a device link profile it can just do the color
space conversion on its own and assign an ICC profile of the resulting
color space to the surface.

> Is it the "displayRGB" Chris was talking about? Is there actually a way
> for an ICC profile to say "do not touch the values, forward them as
> is"?
>
> Do I understand right that "displayRGB" is a special-case where the
> application provides content already in the color space of some output,
> and to facilitate that, the app needs to tell which output it is for,
> and for the app to first choose an output, the compositor needs to tell
> which output it should be for?

It's not a special case in the protocol because the client still just
assigns an ICC profile to the surface but yes, if the color space of
the surface matches the color space of the display the compositor can
skip color space conversion and the colors from the client don't get
touched (except for blending but even then colors with alpha one will
look exactly like the client intended them to look).