HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 6 05:37:55 UTC 2019

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> apps should not have exclusive access. we're re-doing the whole horrid "install
> colormap" thing from the x days of 256 color (or paletted/colormapped displays).

It's not quite the same thing in all cases.

A game doing this - yes, it's setting it up just for its
private use.

Color calibration or "blue light filter" not really - they
are using it as a mechanism for deliberately altering
the color of the whole display so that it affects the appearance
of all other applications.

Whether the latter two are in conflict is an interesting question.

For the purposes of getting a known color behavior they are
in conflict. But then they could also co-operate :- the
"blue light filter" could make use of color management
to implement a specific transform, and do it in such a way
that the white point relative color behavior remains unchanged.

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.