HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Wed Mar 6 05:46:22 UTC 2019

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> I presume the measurement or calibration use case always involves
> "owning" the whole monitor, and the very specific monitor at that. That
> is, making the monitor temporarily exclusive to the app, so that
> nothing else can interfere (e.g. instant messaging notification popping
> up just under the measurement sensor). That would also give an
> opportunity, if wanted(!), to bypass compositor color conversions and
> do or not do anything else special.

It really doesn't have to have exclusive access. Being able
to display a window at a specific location & size and in a
way that can't be overlayed by any other window or hidden by
a screensaver is sufficient.

> IOW, measurement/calibration/characterization is off the scope of the
> currently on-going discussions.

A separate protocol yes. But it needs to be co-designed and
developed so that the two work together and can be tested
together. You can't sign off on the "using" protocol without
knowing that it actually works with the "setting" protocol,
and its making life hard to try and test the first without the
existence of the second.

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.