HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Thu Mar 7 21:07:46 UTC 2019

Michel Dänzer wrote:

> Yep. The alternative is that the different mechanisms clobber the
> hardware LUT from each other, which sucks from a user POV.

Which user though ?

It certainly does the opposite of suck if you are a user
who wants reliable color management, and so want a simple
and direct mechanism to set the post frame buffer manipulation
to a known state.

What does suck if you are a color critical user is that
what used to be a reliable system (i.e. "run the profile
loader") just became unreliable due to a system update.
>From this perspective I'm puzzled as to why such a change
was implemented.

> Welcome to
> the wonderful world of "colour management" in X, please pick your
> poison. I guess you can see why Wayland has a different design. :)

X11 has only got that way with such changes in behavior. It's
been pretty reliable up to now, and at least is possible
thanks to some foresight on the designers and implementer s part.

Cheers,
	Graeme Gill.