HDR support in Wayland/Weston

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:54:58 UTC 2019

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 16:02:44 -0700
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Call me crazy but I'd like to think GTK or Qt could provide, if they
> so chose, this abstraction such that a display profiling app could run
> on any platform with any compositor, and calibrate or profile. These
> higher level APIs should detect the compositor being used, and tell
> the compositor to do the right thing for the task at hand.

I cannot speak for them, but they certainly could if they can design an
API to expose. Not by detecting the compositor per se though, but
adapting to the Wayland and other interfaces they can discover.

I believe Qt may even have a DRM KMS backend, too, so you are already
able to run some Qt apps without any display server straight on KMS.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/embedded-linux.html mentions KMS and libinput
with eglfs.