Enabling HDR support in Wayland / Weston

Sharma, Shashank shashank.sharma at intel.com
Mon Mar 11 20:07:37 UTC 2019

Hello All,

We have raised a new merge request, for the HDR implementation in Weston:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/124

This patch series is in continuation to the design we published here:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2019-January/039808.html

We have added a basic and limited focus implementation of HDR video playback stack, some of the testing specs are:

-        HDR Format: P010

-        Some of the videos tested: https://4kmedia.org/samsung-wonderland-two-hdr-uhd-4k-demo ; and others from the same site.

-        Display / Overlays HW: Icelake

-        Monitors: LG 32UD99-W / 27UK650-W

This patch-set targets:
- HDR framework in drm-backend, which will allow a single plane HDR playback using Icelake HW overlays.
- HDR support in Weston's GL backend, which will allow GL based rendering for HDR playback as a fallback method for other Hardwares.

The Wayland protocol for HDR/Color management is already being discussed at various forums and lists.
Please note that, this patch-set contains a temporary implementation of HDR metadata and colorspace protocol, which is under tag do-not-merge, and is for the sake of completion of testing stack. We are using this as a placeholder for actual color management protocol.
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2019-March/040264.html

To give everyone some background of these parallel threads of work, in my team, we have divided the total HDR development work into 3 parts:
-  The HDR protocol development as a color management subset: (Driven by Ankit Nautiyal)
-  Adding HDR support in GL backend : (Driven by Harish Krupo)
-  Compositor and framework changes in DRM-backend : (Driven by me, Shashank Sharma)

Please provide us the feedback on the implementation.

Regards
Shashank