Using libweston with GTK/GDK

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 7 07:44:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, 7 May 2019 05:24:19 +0100
adlo <adloconwy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 1 May 2019, at 10:34, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi adlo,
> >
> > it is all just the normal Wayland protocol exchange but with a new
> > interface of your own design. I'm not sure if there is a really
> > minimal example, but I'll list at least some.
> >
> > One example of such private protocol extension is
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/blob/master/protocol/weston-desktop-shell.xml
>
> How do I ensure that the GtkWindows open on *my* compositor's
> display? How do I get GTK to find my compositor and connect to it?

That's a tricky question that revolves around having WAYLAND_DISPLAY
environment variable set correctly. There is some related discussion at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/1741

Usually the compositor should set WAYLAND_DISPLAY so that it will be
inherited by all launched apps. Obviously this only works on processes
forked by the compositor, but that is often the case through helper
clients that provide the launcher GUI.