Getting a compositor display name?

Ronan Pigott rpigott314 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 19:59:40 UTC 2019

Hello,

So EWMH has this thing "_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK":

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html#idm140130317670464

where the WM maintains a special window with some atoms for
introspecting the running wm, including a suitable display name in
_NET_WM_NAME, like "i3".

I'm wondering if there is anything similar in wayland for compositors to
export a suitable display name such as "sway" or "myfirstcompositor"?

I thought that maybe there'd be a such a request in wl_compositor, but
it doesn't appear so. Am I looking in the right place?

I think it could be useful for system-info type applications, but I
don't know of any that support a more sophisticated method of getting a
compositors display name than grepping ps.

Thanks,
Ronan