Unable to run X-clients over Weston through XWayland

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 12:09:23 UTC 2019

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 16:25:34 +0530
"Devashish Tiwari" <devashish at cdot.in> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the lead regarding LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It seemed like EGL
> libraries were missing when I did /etc/init.d/weston restart.
>
> I modified the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/environment file and EGL
> errors were gone.
>
> Next there was an error regarding /usr/lib/libweston-2/xwayland.so
> was missing. The weston provided in my linux-SDK by the vendor was
> not compiled with --enable-xwayland and therefore this library was
> missing.
>
> I had to download weston-2.0.0 and recompile it with
> --enable-xwayland flag just to get xwayland.so, and copied it
> to /usr/lib/libweston-2/ path.

Hi,

please do not pick parts of Weston from here and there, there is no
stable ABI for in-tree plugins. Make sure to use *all* components of
Weston from the same build. Even differing build options might cause
things to not work, since we don't deliberately ensure it works.

We have no idea of knowing how much some vendor has been patching
Weston for their own needs.

Use either the vendor sources, or upstream sources, but don't mix.

> I also copied some X11 based dependencies (libXau, libxcb-composite,
> libxcb-X11 etc.) required by xwayland.so to /usr/lib/ path.
>
> After doing all this, when I do /etc/init.d/weston restart, I am
> getting error regarding some cairo-xcb function, which I think is
> present in libcairo.so file. I tried to cross-compile libcairo.so for
> armhf architecture but there were some errors.
>
> All these compilation processes takes a lot of time, so I just want
> to know if I'm on the right path to get the weston working
> successfully with xwayland.

I suppose you are, but I don't know how you are doing your
cross-building, so a lot could go wrong. It is also something I cannot
help with. Just make sure you build everything you need in the correct
order and do not mix-and-match host and target libraries, software
versions between cross-build and installed ones, or anything. And don't
leave stale binaries laying around in the installed system, you might
accidentally load one of them.

If the vendor is using Yocto or something like that, then I suggest you
do too and reconfigure the build or modify the recipes as you need.

I would also recommend using a more recent Weston if possible.