Vnc for remote display?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:53:14 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 08:21:26 -0700
stdcerr <mail.stdcerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm very new to Wayland but had this idea:
> Does Wayland support the addition of a non existent monitor? I'm thinking
> that it would be great if one had the ability to add en extra screen and
> directly hook it up to a vnc server so that an extra screen could be
> presented by connecting a vnc client...
>
> Is there an option for this? How is it be configured?

Hi,

Wayland has nothing to do to support for that. Such non-existent
monitors are completely up to the display server implementation
instead. All configuration is also up to each display server on its
own, as are their implemented features.

GNOME desktop has a remoting solution, but I don't know if it supports
virtual monitors aside from cloning physical monitors. I would assume
KDE has something too, and others, but I don't know about them.

Weston can do several things: it can act as a background RDP desktop
server (not using any physical inputs or outputs), and it can remote
physical outputs via RDP. It can also have virtual outputs via a
GStreamer pipeline or Pipewire.

You'll have to pick the display server or the desktop environment you
want to work with before a question of configuration can be answered.