Vnc for remote display?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 07:43:05 UTC 2019

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 08:27:06 -0700
stdcerr <mail.stdcerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pekka,
>
> Thank you for that explanation. I found this post:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191555 which uses XRandR and i
> found this quite interesting and was wondering if there's something similar
> in wayland too that would be independent of the Window manager I choose to
> use. I'll dig a bit deeper and see what I can find out.

Hi,

there is no equivalent of xrandr on Wayland. Each display server might
have something similar of their own or not. Regardless, each display
server would need to specifically implement an output capturing feature,
e.g. via Pipewire.

Sorry, you cannot hack this feature up with third party tools under the
Wayland architecture, because there is no such thing as "the Wayland
display server" common to all.

In Wayland architecture, the display server, the compositor, and the
window manager are all one in the same process, but the pieces could
come from various libraries.