universal planes in drm backend

zou lan nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 07:38:34 UTC 2019

Hi Daniel & all

I find the function drm_output_prepare_overlay_view() only use the plane
type of WDRM_PLANE_TYPE_OVERLAY. it could be a waste for some planes of
type  WDRM_PLANE_TYPE_PRIMARY if the universal planes is enable.

For example, the kernel define 6 crtcs, and each crtc will have one primary
type plane, but not all of the crtcs are used by weston_output. Some crtcs
may never used, if we reserve  all the primary type planes as scanout
plane, that could waste some of them.

Could the open source drm backend modify the logic of judge the overlay
plane? let the primary plane equal to overlay plane or judge in
drm_output_prepare_overlay_view(), if the plane is not used by outputs, it
could be used by overlay?

Thank you!

Best regards
Nancy