[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sat Apr 4 23:39:06 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 11:16:08AM -0700, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:47 AM Nicolas Dufresne <nicolas at ndufresne.ca> wrote:

> > > I wouldn't mind manually triggering pipelines, but unless there is
> > > some trick I'm not realizing, it is super cumbersome.  Ie. you have to
> > > click first the container jobs.. then wait.. then the build jobs..
> > > then wait some more.. and then finally the actual runners.  That would
> > > be a real step back in terms of usefulness of CI.. one might call it a
> > > regression :-(
> >
> > On GStreamer side we have moved some existing pipeline to manual mode.
> > As we use needs: between jobs, we could simply set the first job to
> > manual (in our case it's a single job called manifest in your case it
> > would be the N container jobs). This way you can have a manual pipeline
> > that is triggered in single (or fewer) clicks. Here's an example:
> >
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/pipelines/128292
> >
> > That our post-merge pipelines, we only trigger then if we suspect a
> > problem.
> >

> I'm not sure that would work for mesa since the hierarchy of jobs
> branches out pretty far.. ie. if I just clicked the arm64 build + test
> container jobs, and everything else ran automatically after that, it
> would end up running all the CI jobs for all the arm devices (or at
> least all the 64b ones)

generate your gitlab-ci from a template so each pipeline has its own job
dependency. The duplication won't hurt you if it's expanded through
templating and it gives you fine-grained running of the manual jobs.

We're using this in ci-templates/libevdev/libinput for the various
distributions and their versions so each distribution+version is effectively
its own pipeline. But we only need to maintain one job in the actual
template file.

https://freedesktop.pages.freedesktop.org/ci-templates/ci-fairy.html#templating-gitlab-ci-yml

Cheers,
   Peter