[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:34:15 UTC 2020

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 8:43 AM Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2020-04-04 at 08:11 -0700, Rob Clark wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the suggestion! I implemented something like this for Mesa:
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/4432
> >
> > I wouldn't mind manually triggering pipelines, but unless there is
> > some trick I'm not realizing, it is super cumbersome.  Ie. you have to
> > click first the container jobs.. then wait.. then the build jobs..
> > then wait some more.. and then finally the actual runners.  That would
> > be a real step back in terms of usefulness of CI.. one might call it a
> > regression :-(
>
> I think that's mostly a complaint about the conditionals we've written
> so far, tbh. As I commented on the bug, when I clicked the container
> job (which the rules happen to have evaluated to being "manual"), every
> job (recursively) downstream of it got enqueued, which isn't what
> you're describing. So I think if you can describe the UX you'd like we
> can write rules to make that reality.

Ok, I was fearing that we'd have to manually trigger each stage of
dependencies in the pipeline.  Which wouldn't be so bad except that
gitlab makes you wait for the previous stage to complete before
triggering the next one.

The ideal thing would be to be able to click any jobs that we want to
run, say "arm64_a630_gles31", and for gitlab to realize that it needs
to automatically trigger dependencies of that job (meson-arm64, and
arm_build+arm_test).  But not sure if that is a thing gitlab can do.

Triggering just the first container jobs and having everything from
there run automatically would be ok if the current rules to filter out
unneeded jobs still apply, ie. a panfrost change isn't triggering
freedreno CI jobs and visa versa.  But tbh I don't understand enough
of what that MR is doing to understand if that is what it does.  (It
was suggested on IRC that this is probably what it does.)

BR,
-R