RFC: libei - emulated input in Wayland compositors

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Aug 3 04:57:11 UTC 2020

On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 01:42:16PM +0200, Roman Gilg wrote:

> > 1) It exports a set of APIs under org.freedesktop.portal.* that all
> > sandboxed applications can access.
> >
> > In contrast to explicitly allowed APIs (i.e. build time configured list
> > of API to be exposed directly to inside an application sandbox by
> > default), a portal APIs allows for applications to dynamically request
> > access to privileged functionality, for example access to arbitrary
> > file system locations, cameras, geo location, or screen casting.
>
> That's quite a long sentence. Let me dissect it a bit. What kind of
> API are we talking about? The xdg-portal-desktop one? Who defines the
> "build time configured list of API"? Are we talking about the "build"
> of the Flatpak? Is it the Manifest's "finish-args" as described this
> way in the Flatpak documentation? [1]

sort-of, there's a confusion of terms. "API" stands primarily for a DBus API
but you'll probably think of X11 and Wayland as sockets. for the purpose
here you can consider them as APIs as well.

When you build a flatpak application, you specify what that application can
access outside the sandbox, that's your [1] link. by default, a sandboxed
application does not have X11 or Wayland access.

you can allow access to those or any API at build time, e.g.
--talk-name=org.freedesktop.EI would allow the application to talk to a EIS
server directly without the portal in between. These permissions are
compiled in and listed by the flatpak itself - they're not dynamic like the
portal.

Problem with any build-time permissions is the portal has no control over
it. This particularly shows the issue with sockets which are a complete
side-channel. A DBus API will be called every time
it's needed - that allows for a gatekeeper in between. A socket, once
established, is largely outside the control of such a gatekeeper. XTEST for
example floats along on the rest of X, you cannot allow an application to
use X for display but disallow XTEST in a portal, support for this would
have to be implemented in X itself. The same would be true for a Wayland
virtual input protocol.

EI is (will be) a combination of API + socket, similar to screencasting -
negotiation is handled by the portal but once the connection is established
the data is outside the portal's control. We could make the communication
fully dbus-y so we can filter at any point but I don't think that would
provide a lot of benefit.

The socket approach here is acceptable because it's very *specific* for what
it does. It only does emulated input, so giving permission to that implies
you want that to happen. Giving permission for X (or Wayland) does not by
default mean you want emulated input to happen through those protocols.

> > 2) It provides, using backends, methods for implementing user
> > interactive permission management. For arbitrary file system access,
> > this may involve e.g. opening a file using a file selection dialog, or
> > for screen casting this may mean actively choosing what part of your
> > screen should be shared.
>
> Right, what the basic idea of the portals is, is pretty clear to me.
> Basically it pipes requests of sandboxed apps through an
> authentication and permission system in case they want to interact
> with outside their sandbox. It's more about the cases where they
> don't. A Wayland client in a sandbox interacts via Wayland protocol
> with the outside of their sandbox, but that's not going through
> xdg-portals, or is there a permission to block it from that?

For flatpak at least, you need to explicity allow wayland access
(--socket=wayland) at which point it's basically a wayland-sized hole in the
sandbox.

> > 3) It manages remembered access, using a common permission store[0]. For
> > example if an application was permanently denied camera access, the
> > portal will know about this and not query the portal backend.
>
> Yea, I quickly did an online search for a GUI to it and found [2]
> which looks awesome. Also answers my question above: there exist
> permissions to block a sandboxed app from Wayland or X11. But I assume
> a user won't be asked for every new GUI app he installs if it is
> allowed to show some pixels and instead the permission is by default
> set to allowed. Looking back at it the GUI app should set this as a
> permission in their Manifest file, which is like a default on install.

It does indeed ask, or at least tell you:

$ flatpak install --user org.gimp.GIMP
Looking for matches…
Found similar ref(s) for ‘org.gimp.GIMP’ in remote ‘flathub’ (user).
Use this remote? [Y/n]: y

org.gimp.GIMP permissions:
    ipc      network      x11      file access [1]      dbus access [2]      tags [3]

    [1] /tmp, host, xdg-config/GIMP, xdg-config/gtk-3.0, xdg-run/gvfs
    [2] org.freedesktop.FileManager1, org.gtk.vfs, org.gtk.vfs.*
    [3] stable

Proceed with these changes to the user installation? [Y/n]:

So the built-in permissions for gimp include x11 and direct access to the
org.freedesktop.FileManager1 DBus API. To re-iterate my above point -
because gimp has x11 access, the sandbox cannot stop it from emulating input
via XTEST. Likewise, if wayland was parts of the permission you cannot
arbitrate access to wayland protocols through a portal.

For the rest I'm going let Jonas answer since there are some questions in
there where I'm not sure my answer would be correct :)

Cheers,
   Peter