Dual-head kiosk/embedded application

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:45:41 UTC 2020

On Thu, 06 Aug 2020 09:35:15 +0000
Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, August 6, 2020 9:02 AM, Nicolas Jeker <n.jeker at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently working on a solution to run two instances of a full
> > screen application on separate screens with separate touch screen
> > input. This is pretty easy if the application has Wayland support by
> > using a pair of wl_seats, one for each output and touch screen. Multi-
> > seat with X11 on a single graphics card is as far as I understand
> > impossible.
>
> I don't quite understand why multiple seats are necessary here. Isn't
> it possible to map touch screen input A to output A and touch screen
> input B to output B?

Maybe there is a confusion in terminology. To clarify:

Multi-seat is not multiple wl_seats in the same compositor instance.
Multi-seat means a compositor instance per each seat such that each
seat has a different user (account).

I don't think there is a canonical word to describe the multiple
wl_seats in the same compositor instance case. Multi-focus perhaps?

Nicolas, do you want actual multi-seat (user separation), or just
multi-focus to have each touchscreen deliver input independently of
each other?

Both touchscreens cannot be in the same wl_seat in the same compositor
instance if they are to operate independently e.g. by two different
people.

Well done homework, by the way. :-)