Question about wl_pointer_set_cursor and hotspots

Waris Boonyasiriwat waris.boonyasiriwat at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 01:14:15 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the right place as this is the first time I use
mailing lists.

Earlier this year I raised an issue against a UI framework GLFW where the
cursor hotspot does not seem to be respected in wayland:
https://github.com/glfw/glfw/issues/1706

However, upon further digging, a GLFW developer (and later myself) seem to
have confirmed that GLFW is sending the correct cursor information to the
compositor. The source code for the cursor call is found here:
https://github.com/glfw/glfw/blob/master/src/wl_init.c#L167-L175

I have tried changing the hotspot to nonsensical numbers such as 0,0 or
100,100, but I noticed no change in behaviour at all. The hotspot always
appears to be at the top left.

I have noticed this behaviour on two separate compositor implementations:
weston and mutter. This led me to consult this mailing list, to see whether
we are misusing the API somehow?

Your help is much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Waris