gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Feb 28 07:33:25 UTC 2020

Hi Drew,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 22:43, Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:
> I rigged up SourceHut CI for use with gitlab.fd.o several months ago, as
> part of investigation to see if wlroots and sway could be moved there.
> It's still set up - anyone with a sr.ht account can go to dispatch.sr.ht
> and create a task which rigs up GitLab commits to builds.sr.ht jobs. I
> filed a bug with GitLab at the time to address a blocker for merge
> request builds:
>
> https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/issues/16491
>
> They seem to be planning it for a near-future GitLab release.
>
> Would be happy to host any fd.o projects who need builds on this
> service. It's not 1:1 GitLab compatible, so some kind of porting effort
> would be required, but various Linux distros and BSDs are supported.
> Ping me if you want to discuss it for your project.

Unfortunately that wouldn't help unless they moved the entire project
to SourceHut. What's hurting is storing and transferring all the
images used for the CI builds, not doing the builds themselves.
Currently execution runs on a fleet of machines sponsored partly by
Packet and partly by the GStreamer Foundation.

Cheers,
Daniel