Multiple HW plane enable BKM in open source Weston

Marius Vlad marius.vlad at collabora.com
Fri Jan 3 11:24:56 UTC 2020

Hi,

Well, if the overlay (which apparently is underlay in your case) plane
supports YUYV you don't any kind of color conversion between them. Pekka
already made this pretty clear: you need to match out what pixel format
you're using with that of the overlay plane. There's drm_info from Scott
(https://github.com/ascent12/drm_info) or modetest from libdrm to check
what your HW supports.

While weston doesn't properly support underlays, (and this is on-going
issue at the moment) weston if capable to place multiple views in
multiple HW planes.

For your particular use case, the only to achieve that, is that the main
UI has to be alpha blended with the (view) one below when you want to
display the video in overlay.

Do note that for a view to reach the primary plane the view has to cover
the entire output. As we don't properly support underlays (which
requires additional work to reveal the view underneath the view assigned
in the primary plane) you'll need to have the video in the overlay
matching the entire output as well.

Not only that, but for all of this to work, you'll need to bind to
wl_subcompositor interface and with it, to use sub-surfaces for your
application to behave as one, otherwise you ran into the problem of the
main UI being fullscreen which gets injected an additional black surface
view below it, and you won't be able to display anything underneath it,
even if even if you (locally) alpha blended it.

But also do note, this might not be that easily achievable due to HW
constrains, as adding alpha blending to a plane increases the BW
necessary by the HW which will be easily saturated when combined with
another plane (overlay), so weston will then go into compositing mode of
rendering. You'll need to verify that with `drm-debug' scope if that
happens.

PS: I've interchanged overlay with underlay here so adjust accordingly
when reading.