weston-info as a standalone utility

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 11:34:49 UTC 2020

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 10:13:19 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 10:39, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:
> >
> > And from the corresponding glxinfo / vulkaninfo & friends, which don't
> > have their own repositories either. The only exception that comes to
> > mind offhand is xdpyinfo, but that's just because every single app got
> > its own repository when the monolithic X tree was split up, which
> > these days seems to be generally considered as having gone overboard.
>
> Right, so, to move forward with this, I shall:
>
>  - Rename the repository to “wayland-utils”
>  - Move the source into its own subdirectory (so we can have more later)

Sounds good.

> Regarding weston-info, shouldn't we add a deprecation warning before
> actually removing it? Or maybe add a symlink weston-info→wayland-info
> ?

Personally I'd be fine leaving that with distribution packagers.
That way we upstream don't have to deal with weston<->wayland-utils
conflicts or dependencies. As there is no conflict to begin
with, we're not in a hurry to remove weston-info. We can do that in
the next Weston release after the first wayland-utils release.