RFC: libei - emulated input in Wayland compositors

Vlad Zahorodnii vlad.zahorodnii at kde.org
Fri Jul 31 08:00:53 UTC 2020

Howdy,

On 7/31/20 8:13 AM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> I've been working on a new approach for allowing emulated input devices in
> Wayland. Or in short - how can we make xdotool and synergy work? And
> eventually replace them.

++, it would be nice to have something that is supported by all major
compositors + working synergy on Wayland. :-)

> The proposal I have is a library for Emulated Input, in short libei.
>   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/whot/libei/
>
> libei has two parts, the client side (libei) for applications and
> a server side (libeis) for the compositor. The two libraries communicate
> with each other (how? doesn't matter, it's an implementation detail) to
> negotiate input devices.
>
> The process is roughly:
> - the libei client connects and says "I am org.freedesktop.SomeApplication
>   and I want a pointer and a keyboard device"
> - the libeis server says "ok, you can have a pointer device and a keyboard
>   device"
> - the libei client says 'move the pointer by 1/1', etc. and the server does
>   just that. or not, depending on context.
>
> There are more details, see the README in the repo and the libei.h and
> libeis.h header files that describe the API.
>
> The sticking point here is: emulated input comes via a separate channel.
> The server a) knows it's emulated input, b) knows who it is coming from and
> c) has complete control over the input.
>
> a) is interesting because you can differ between the events internally. The
> API right now is very similar to libinput's events so integrating it into a
> compositor should be trivial.
>
> b) is somewhat handwavy if an application runs outside a sandbox - any
> information will be unreliable. Flatpak gives you an app-id though and
> with that we can (eventually) do things like storing the allow/deny
> decisions of the user in the portal implementation.
>
> c) allows you to e.g. suspend the client when convenient or just ignore
> certain sequences altogether. The two made-up examples are: suspend EI
> during a password prompt, or allow EI from the software yubikey *only*
> during a password prompt.

We don't want any application be able to inject input events. How should
a program such as synergy authenticate itself? or is it completely up to
the compositor to decide what the authentication process looks like?

Cheers,
Vlad