Missing Protocols ir-keytable Ubuntu 20.04

Sean Young sean at mess.org
Tue Jun 2 16:08:10 UTC 2020

Hi,

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 02:35:32PM +0200, Ralf Schmidt wrote:
> On more thing: because off the removed -d parameter, Remotes like the
> Technisat TTS35AI are no longer supported, such Type of Remotes are not
> recognized in /sys/class/rc/.

So I'm now the proud owner of this device.

This device is a usb dongle which is an IR receiver, but self-describes
as a usb hid keyboard device. It comes with a remote.

As far as I can figure out, there is no way to reprogram it.

So users have been re-mapping scancodes to different keycodes using:

ir-keytable -d /dev/input/eventN -c -k 0x12:KEY_F1

However, ir-keytable was designed load keymaps for rc devices, not hid
devices. This functionality was intentionally removed, as it was buggy
in many ways. ir-keytable does not exist for remapping usb hid keyboards.

This has left some users like Ralf in a situation where they can no longer
change the key mappings for their remote.

ir-keytable is probably not the right way to do this; it has no rules to
do this from udev, for example. What tooling is there for doing this
and what is the recommended way to do this?

Sean