Best practices for client side buffer management

Brad Robinson brobinson at toptensoftware.com
Wed Jun 24 13:45:56 UTC 2020

Hi Pekka,

The problem is, the compositor might not release the buffer until
> you have already submitted a new one.

OK... good to know that approach won't work.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out (and probably won't solve completely
till I actually sit down and code it) is how to avoid the software
rendering part of it as much as possible.  My app can have a complex and
deep tree of UI elements so I think it's worth trying to avoid additional
render calls into that tree as much as possible - or at least clip it down
to just the dirty rectangles.  But this requires the rest of the current
buffer be kept up to date.  Presumably if there's a cycle of buffers being
used this would mean either re-rendering certain UI  elements multiple
times, or copying dirty rectangles from previously rendered frame buffers
to the one about to be updated.

I'm not sure if this is a valid or even useful question but: once I've
submitted a buffer to the compositor can I assume the previously submitted
buffer will be returned imminently?

The rest of this discussion got a bit beyond me (although I will need to
support OpenGL eventually).

Thanks everyone for insights... much appreciated.

Brad