Current state of Window Decorations

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Jun 25 20:08:35 UTC 2020

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 17:16:30 +0300 Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> said:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 19:01:33 +1000
> Brad Robinson <brobinson at toptensoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > That said, what would be the recommended way to implement this - would you
> > typically have one surface for the decorations and an embedded sub-surface
> > for the content area?  eg: what happens if you use a drawing library
> > (cairo/skia whatever) for the decorations but then want to embed opengl
> > content for example.
>
> Hi,
>
> while it may be attractive to use one surface for your content and
> several (sub-)surfaces for the decorations, I believe it can cause
> "seams" to become visible if the compositor is doing anything else than
> showing the pixels 1:1, e.g. fractional scaling, zoom, tilted windows (a
> gimmick in Weston, freedom to arbitrarily rotate windows). It is hard to
> do bilinear sampling across multiple textures, so it is likely the
> adjacent edges of two surfaces are not blended perfectly by a
> compositor. Whether that actually disturbs users or not depends on what
> is being show and how. Maybe it's not a big concern.

well.. in this case to do this right the compositor is forced to first
pre-render all the subsurfaces to an fbo (for example) THEN take that FBO and do
whatever scaling/stretching/manipulation to it. so it is possible to get it
right on the compositor side, but it'll basically make things less efficient
than the client-side doing this already and handling buffer age for partial
updates right which means most of the time it'll never update the frame areas
anyway.

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com