Current state of Window Decorations

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 08:37:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 6/25/20 11:40 AM, Simon Ser wrote:
> On Thursday, June 25, 2020 11:01 AM, Brad Robinson <brobinson at toptensoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> As a toolkit developer coming from Windows/OSX this is fairly
>> shocking. I'm aware of the decoration protocol, but given it's not
>> supported (and by the sound of it never will be) on some of the major
>> distros makes it almost worthless.
>
> It's not really about distros, it's mainly about compositors. GNOME
> doesn't support it, but many other compositors do (KDE, Sway, and other
> wlroots-based compositors).
>
> If you don't know about libdecoration [1], maybe it'll help, but it's
> still pretty wip.
>
> [1]: https://gitlab.gnome.org/jadahl/libdecoration

libdecoration is being used to add client-side decoration support to
blender, see:
https://developer.blender.org/D7989?id=25771

So recently it has been actively worked (and become less WIP).
So if you do not want to completely roll client-side decoration
support from scratch, then using libdecoration is likely a good
option.

Regards,

Hans