Plumbing explicit synchronization through the Linux ecosystem

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon Mar 16 22:02:06 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:06:07AM -0500, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

> > > Another issue is that V4L2 doesn't offer any guarantee on job ordering.
> > > When you queue multiple buffers for camera capture for instance, you
> > > don't know until capture complete in which buffer the frame has been
> > > captured.
> >
> > Is this a Kernel UAPI issue?  Surely the kernel driver knows at the
> > start of frame capture which buffer it's getting written into.  I
> > would think that the kernel APIs could be adjusted (if we find good
> > reason to do so!) such that they return earlier and return a (buffer,
> > fence) pair.  Am I missing something fundamental about video here?
>
> For cameras I believe we could do that, yes. I was pointing out the
> issues caused by the current API. For video decoders I'll let Nicolas
> answer the question, he's way more knowledgeable that I am on that
> topic.
>
> > I must admit that V4L is a bit of an odd case since the kernel driver
> > is the producer and not the consumer.
>
> Note that V4L2 can be a consumer too. Video output with V4L2 is less
> frequent than video capture (but it still exists), and codecs and other
> memory-to-memory processing devices (colorspace converters, scalers,
> ...) are both consumers and producers.

Yeah, I think I was aware of at least some of that.  I would expect
(though, again, I don't know) that the hardware which consumes images
generally shouldn't have those "packet loss" problems.  A video output
device might miss vblank but that's something we deal with in display
hardware all the time.  Codecs, I would hope, are reliable enough that
they should more-or-less always succeed.  Is this assumption correct?

> > > In the normal case buffers are processed in sequence, but if
> > > an error occurs during capture, they can be recycled internally and put
> > > to the back of the queue.
> >
> > Are those errors something that can happen at any time in the middle
> > of a frame capture?  If so, that does make things stickier.
>
> Yes it can. Think of packet loss when capturing from a USB webcam for
> instance.

Yeah, that makes sense.  In that case, there are likely going to be
some devices that either need to wait for the actual end-of-frame
before handing the buffer back to userspace or will need some sort of
out-of-band "ignore this frame, it's corrupted" error.  The later
sounds fairly painful for userspace to handle correctly.  Is this
"packet loss" something that all video devices experience or is it
mostly cheaper ones?

> > > Unless I'm mistaken, this problem also exists
> > > with stateful codecs. And if you don't know in advance which buffer you
> > > will receive from the device, the usefulness of fences becomes very
> > > questionable :-)
> >
> > Yeah, if you really are in a situation where there's no way to know
> > until the full frame capture has been completed which buffer is next,
> > then fences are useless.  You aren't in an implicit synchronization
> > setting either; you're in a "full flush" setting.  It's arguably worse
> > for performance but perhaps unavoidable?
>
> Probably unavoidable in some cases, but nothing that should get in the
> way for the discussion at hand: there's no need to migrate away from
> implicit sync when there's implicit sync in the first place :-)

Just to be clear, do you actually use the dma-buf implicit sync stuff
today or do all V4L capture devices wait until the full frame is
complete before returning anything to userspace?

> I think we need to analyse the use cases here, and figure out at least
> guidelines for userspace, otherwise applications will wonder what
> behaviour to implement, and we'll end up with a wide variety of them.

Yeah, there's some API design questions to be answered here.  It's
possible to have an image output API which always provides a sync_file
and, depending on the hardware, it may have one of two behaviors:

 1. Hand out images before the capture is done and trigger the sync
file once that frame's capture is completed
 2. Hand out images only after the full frame has been completed and
provide an already triggered sync_file

It would also be possible to make whether or not you get a sync_file
vs. implicit sync configurable from userspace (it kind-of has to be
opt-in since it would be a new UAPI) or to make it depend on the
underlying hardware.  This potentially makes userspace software more
complex which may make it harder to get right.  Lots of trade-offs
here.

> Even just on the kernel side, some V4L2 capture driver will pass
> erroneous frames to userspace (thus guaranteeing ordering, but without
> early notification of errors), some will require the frame
> automatically, and at least one (uvcvideo) has a module parameter to
> pick the desired behaviour.

Is passing erroneous frames to userspace current behavior?  Or are you
talking about what a sync_file future looks like?

--Jason