Plumbing explicit synchronization through the Linux ecosystem

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Tue Mar 17 18:21:38 UTC 2020

Le mardi 17 mars 2020 à 11:27 -0500, Jason Ekstrand a écrit :
> [...]
> > fencing.
>
> Good to know.

> > > Note that V4L2 can be a consumer too. Video output with V4L2 is less
> > > frequent than video capture (but it still exists), and codecs and other
> > > memory-to-memory processing devices (colorspace converters, scalers,
> > > ...) are both consumers and producers.

> > > Yes it can. Think of packet loss when capturing from a USB webcam for
> > > instance.

> > > Probably unavoidable in some cases, but nothing that should get in the
> > > way for the discussion at hand: there's no need to migrate away from
> > > implicit sync when there's implicit sync in the first place :-)
> > >
> > > I think we need to analyse the use cases here, and figure out at least
> > > guidelines for userspace, otherwise applications will wonder what
> > > behaviour to implement, and we'll end up with a wide variety of them.
> > > Even just on the kernel side, some V4L2 capture driver will pass
> > > erroneous frames to userspace (thus guaranteeing ordering, but without
> > > early notification of errors), some will require the frame
> > > automatically, and at least one (uvcvideo) has a module parameter to
> > > pick the desired behaviour.
> >
> > Also, from a userspace point of view, the synchronization with the
> > "next frame" in V4L2 isn't implicit. We can poll() the device, just
> > like we'd do with a fence FD. What the explicit fence gives, is a
> > unified object we can pass to another driver, or other userspace, so we
> > can delegate the wait.
> >
> > You refer to performance in few places. In streaming, this is often
> > measure as real-time throughput. Implicit/explicit fences don't really
> > play any role for us in this regard. V4L2 drivers, like m2m drivers,
> > works with buffer queues. So you can queue in advance many buffers on
> > the OUTPUT device side (which is the input of the m2m), and userspace
> > will queue in advance pretty much all free buffers available on the
> > CAPTURE side. The driver is never starved in that model, at the cost of
> > very large memory consumption of course. Maybe a more visual
> > representation would be:
> >
> >   [pending job] -> [M2M Worker] -> [pending results]
> >
> > So as long as userspace keep the pending job queue non-empty, and that
> > it consumes and give back buffers back to write the results into, the
> > driver will keep running un-interrupted. Performance remains optimal.
> > What isn't optimal is the latency. And what bugs right now is when a
> > DMAbuf implicit out fence is put back into the pending results queue,
> > since the fence is ignored.
>
> Yes, that makes sense.  In 3D land, we're very concerned about
> latency.  Any time anyone has to stall for anything, it's a potential
> hitch in someone's game.  Being delayed by a single extra frame can be
> problematic; 2-3 frames puts the gamer at a significant disadvantage.
> In video, as long as audio and video are in sync and you aren't
> dropping frames, no one really cares about latency as long as hitting

Just a note, there exist low latency use cases for streaming too (sub-
frame latency between two devices). But everything I'm ware is
downstream. The one I have in mind uses a special AXI feature to
synchronize between two HW component, but the implementation is not
using either implicit or explicit fence, in fact they didn't bother
adding a specific kernel object, you have to know when you use these
downstream drivers. We are a bit far from being able to make generic
software on top of that.

The use case was less prone to capture error, since instead of a
camera, they have SDI or HDMI receiver.

> What concerns me the most, I think is actually the interop issues.
> You mentioned issues with the raspberry pi.  Right now, if someone is
> rendering frames using a Vulkan driver and trying to pass those on to
> V4L for encode or to some other api such as VA-API, we don't really
> have a plan for synchronization.  Thanks to dma-buf extensions we at
> least have most of a plan for sharing the memory and negotiating image
> layouts (strides, tiling, etc.) but no plan for synchronization at

I didn't know there was plan for that, this is nice. Right now every
userspace carry this information in a slightly different and
incompatible way, translating, extrapolation, etc. It's all very error
prone.