Presentation and Inquire

Jean-Francois Dagenais jeff.dagenais at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 21:57:18 UTC 2020

> On Mar 31, 2020, at 11:29, Matías Emanuel Denda Serrano <matutetandil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, my name is Matias, I'm a Systems Engineer, I've never developed nor helped developing something similar to this, but I'd like to start now.
>
> Here is the deal, I'm a developer, and on my daily basis I use my laptop, with time it gets obsolete and I have to change it (you may understand the situation perfectly). In order to be hardware independent, most of my apps are cloud-based, BUT there are some that don't, for instance, the IDE, chat, general apps, etc. (Also, when I travel I have to go with my laptop, and someone can steal it, it could be damaged, etc.)
>
> So, my idea was simple, I get a cloud server, I install my favorite Linux DIstro a Web Desktop Environment, and I access that machine for any place in the world with a Web Browser... My surprise was: "There is No Web Desktop Environment" or at least I couldn't find anything, probably because no one thinks a server the way I think a server.
>
> Summarizing, I'd like to develop and here is where I need your help or starting point, something that lets me render the "screen" within a browser. I'm VERY open to suggestions but basically my vision is to open a browser enter to myserverip.com, I will be asked for my username and password, and after the validation, I'll see the SAME Desktop Environment that the server has. For Instance, if I installed GNOME, then I will see GNOME (of course if Gnome supports Wayland).
>
> Btw, using VNC, is not an option, it is very slow and is not what I want. My idea is the browser to be the screen so I can minimize the traffic to the minimum. Also, I don't care about moving files from the machine where the browser is open.

Hi,

I've been really interested by this over the years. I agree with the philosophy entirely.

Right now I have started using the remote SSH component in Visual Studio Code. It allows me to run the front-end on my local laptop, but he backend is my linux box at the office. Works well for the IDE itself, but there are always GUI tools that I still need and don't play well with remoting. X2go client/server works ok, but it is X11. For Wayland, a full desktop is being worked on by the gnome folks and others. But as far as I understand it, it is a remote screen. That is, there is a real picture rendered on the server, and this picture is sent remotely to a client as well.

But a lot of things are happening, so one must keep looking.

How we can use X11 through an SSH pipe is awesome, on paper. It is easy to run an X server instance on mac (XQuartz) or windows (MobaXTerm, cygwin, XMing, etc), then single windows or full desktop sessions. In practice, different story. It works well some of the time only. It highly dependant on the connection latency and on each application.

Some work is ongoing to recreate this for wayland. But so far, it requires wayland on each side. Right now, this means linux on both sides as far as I know. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mstoeckl/waypipe/

For your web case, take a look at https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Greenfield-HTML5-Wayland

I have also just found this, not tried it or anything: https://drewdevault.com/2019/04/23/Using-cage-for-a-seamless-RDP-Wayland-desktop.html

Good luck!