Basic API usage

Jan Bruns code at abnuto.de
Mon Sep 7 14:47:42 UTC 2020

Hallo!

 From the perspective of someone with a non-gcc-supported programming
language preference, I have problems identifying an outline of steps
required to support wayland from within an application.

For example, from the human readable documentation at
wayland.freedesktop.org, I've learned that wayland communication is
based on some unix domain socket protocol (similar to X), which would
probably allow for process separation (with the benefit of avoiding
problems about things like floating point precision settings, exception
handling, and so on). However, the xml frequently referenced in the
documentation doesn't appear to completely define a protocol.

Two Hello-world C examples found on the web both reference the files
wayland-client-core.h and wayland-client-protocol.h

wayland-client-core.h makes use of very C-specific language constructs
like "..." in parameter lists. I'm very unsure if the other programming
language compiler of choice could generate ABI-conformant calls to
those, in addition to the fact I cannot yet (after just a few hours of
trying) even name the lib the ABI-tools should link to.

wayland-client-protocol.h was a bit difficult to find. It probably gets
auto-generated on installing wayland, a step that I didn't try, since
wayland already was installed here. But I found it in /usr/include.

Could someone please outline how to use the API for the non-gcc case?

Gruss

Jan Bruns