XDC 2020 feedback and comments

DorotaC xofofu.dcz at porcupinefactory.org
Mon Sep 21 16:30:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:03:32 +0200
Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez <siglesias at igalia.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Huge thanks again to the entire team from Intel, for their great work
> organizing XDC 2020, our first virtual conference!
>
> As usual we're looking for feedback on both XDC itself, and the CFP
> process and program selection. Both about what was great and should be
> kept for next year's edition, and where there's room for improvement.
>
> The board does keep some notes, for those interested in what we have
> already:
>
> - XDC notes for prospective organizers:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/RFP/
>
> - CFP notes: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/PapersCommittee/
>
> If you want to send in your comments in private, please send them to
> the X.org Foundation board: board at foundation.x.org
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

Hi Sam,

I'd like to make a note about using some more privacy-friendly streaming platform.

When I tried to watch the streams, instead of showing the video, youtube presented me with a GDPR dialog.

While it was glitched and unskippable for me, just the fact that Google made it non-optional shows their disregard for my privacy (and, IMO, the letter of law, which mandates opt-in). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to evaluate the dialog's contents due to the glitch, but online reports suggest they are similarly ignorant. All in all, I only access youtube via youtube-dl any more, and that doesn't support streaming.

When attending Akademy 2 weeks ago, they had a setup based on BigBlueButton that worked well without that sort of issues.

Cheers,
Dorota