Weston: Disabling connectors at runtime

Sebert, Holger.ext Holger.Sebert.ext at karlstorz.com
Thu Apr 15 13:54:28 UTC 2021

Hi,

on my hardware (x86-based, Intel UHD Graphics 630) I have several
connectors (DVI and DisplayPorts). I use the Weston compositor version 9.0.0.

I would like to configure the system so that precisely one output is
active, i.e. there should not be any "extended" desktop, just one main
desktop where my application shows up and that's all.

My first try was to clone monitor output using the "same-as" parameter
in the Weston config, but unfortunately monitor cloning does not work
on my hardware (see also https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/333).

As an alternative I would like to switch off all but one connector.
More precisely:
- If a monitor is connected to the DVI-port, disable all DisplayPorts
- If a monitor is connected to a DisplayPort, disable the DVI-port and
  all other DisplayPorts.
- If there are multiple monitors connected, only enable e.g. DVI and
  disable all others.

This should be done automatcally, e.g. in a start-up script, without user
interaction.

On Xorg I would use xrandr to achieve this. Is there an equivalent for
Wayland/Weston?

Best,
Holger