FW: xrandr and xwayland

David Deyo ddeyo at tireprofiles.com
Tue Aug 3 13:04:11 UTC 2021

From: David Deyo<mailto:ddeyo at tireprofiles.com>
Sent: Monday, August 2, 2021 3:53 PM
To: Pekka Paalanen<mailto:ppaalanen at gmail.com>
Subject: RE: xrandr and xwayland

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 23:30:38 +0100
Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:28:02 +0000 David Deyo <ddeyo at tireprofiles.com> said:
>
> No - this is up to the compositor itself to do in its own internal ways. Far
> too many abuses have happened over the years with xrandr available to any
> client anywhere. While in theory a wayland compositor could create an extension
> that works like xrandr, it'd be problematic to make it general-access like
> xrandr.

>>>Indeed.

> > Hello  everyone,
> >
> > I need to rotate  my screen 90 degrees and back to normal in xwayland on an
> > iMX8 running gatesgarth distro.

>>>Maybe you could explain your top-level use case for this, and the
>>>general system architecture (which relevant programs are running and
>>>what their responsibilities are)?

Distro:
I am working on a product that our company is creating.  It uses an imx8 som from Boundary.  The system is not a normal desktop.
The DISTRO is created by yocto using the gatesgarth branch.  Just recently we were notified that Xwayland was working, so I don’t expect we will be removing it just yet.

Use case:
We will have a kiosk-looking desktop.  Some of our pages will have the option for the end user to enter text from an on-screen keyboard.
Since our display will be so small (68.04mm (2.68") x 120.96mm (4.76")), we will have to turn our unit sideways to make the keyboard fit.  We have already done this on a smaller screen (1.0).
On our 1.0 product, we used Segger as our graphics library.  Compared to Android, and the like, it seems like rotating the screen would be a standard capability.

I believe our compositor (Weston) can do it, transform=90, but to use this method, it has to be restarted; causing our gui app to crash and lose all entered data.
The client probably needs to drive the orientation.   Considering our gui will likely be in python3/tkinter, I will need some way create a page and rotate the display.

I am somewhat limited by the packages available to me in my distro.

Thanks,

-dwd

>>>Quite likely the solution will start by removing Xwayland from the
>>>equation, and to have the compositor you use to automatically apply
>>>that rotation when needed, but how to achieve that depends on your use
>>>case. Can the compositor do it all on its own, does the client need to
>>>synchronise to the orientation change, does the client need to drive
>>>the orientation change, etc.

>>>Also sounds like this might not be a normal desktop system you are
>>>working on, which means you have more options on how to design this
>>>than on normal desktop systems with arbitrary applications.

>>>Thanks,
>>>pq

> > Does anyone know if xrandr can be coerced/modified to make rotations work?
> > I’m in the middle of xserver, libX11, libxrandr and xrandr source.
> >
> > How would a client communicating to Xwayland as the xserver request a
> > rotation?  Does Xwayland listen to a unix socket and pass commands on to the
> > kernel?
> >
> > (Thanks Hans,)
> >
> > -dwd
> >                                                                          David