Surface ID assignment for multiple instances of an application

Vaibhav Dalvi vaibhav.dlv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 05:19:25 UTC 2021

Hi all,
I'm working on a simple C++ application (dbus-service) which can start/stop
another application ( a vnc viewer application ). My platform is arm-linux
with wayland + ivi-shell. Now I am able to start / stop the x11 vncviewer
application one instance. Needed to add desktop-app entries in weston.ini.
I'm using LayerManagerControl commands to manage the window ( at present -
further on ilm API's shall be used. )

Now my next use case is multiple instances of this vnc viewer application.
And for that I added few more desktop-app entries to weston.ini, and
updated the service to launch multiple instances of vnc viewer. I am able
to launch multiple instances of vncviewer. But to control those instances,
I need to know which instance is assigned which surface ID.

Another look at ilm api's led me to surface-property's creator-PID field.
Unfortunately with xwayland, for x11 apps this field contains PID of
xwayland instance and not the actual x11 app.

I looked at libweston as well as xwayland-api, but not able to see a clear
solution. Please suggest any way to obtain this mapping of surface ID and
process ID for x11 apps with xwayland.