Surface ID assignment for multiple instances of an application

Vaibhav Dalvi vaibhav.dlv at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 09:36:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

Thank you for the input.

id-agent plugin is not in use at present. This particular system has 2
classes of applications.
1. Qt applications - They use IVI_SURFACE_ID environment variable to set
the surface ID for each application via an init shellscript.
2. XOrg applications - These are running with help from xwayland and the
surface IDs for these is at provided via weston.ini.

So I should use id-agent for XOrg applications to set surface ID instead of
providing via weston.ini. And so we will get control of surface ID's when
using multiple instances. I think this could be a valid solution. I'll try
to figure this out.

Meanwhile the multi-instance use case is thrown out for now, so for single
instance of the XOrg application, providing a fixed surface ID via
weston.ini works fine for now.

Regards,
Vaibhav