Dell Totem support / libinput bug: Event for missing capability CAP_POINTER on device "Advanced Silicon S.A. CoolTouch® System System Multi Axis"

Max Maischein corion at corion.net
Mon May 10 07:05:55 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I got a Dell Canvas+Totem widget (on clearance, they are discontinued),
and got the following error message when running `libinput debug-events`:

libinput bug: Event for missing capability CAP_POINTER on device
"Advanced Silicon S.A. CoolTouch® System System Multi Axis"

The recorded sequence is "drop the totem on the screen, click it (this
is where the error shows up), lift it again", recorded using

libinput record /dev/input/event9 -o dell-totem-drop-click-lift-20210510.yml

Is there anything more I can do to help? I'd really like to use the
totem as a secondary mouse/tool, but so far, it "only" gets detected as
a primary mouse (without configuration or anything, so that's really
great already).

-max