Help writing a virtual touchpad

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue May 11 21:30:19 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:15:39AM +0200, Andrea Somaini wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your detailed response, that blog post was amazing and it made some things much more clearer.
>
> At the end, I managed to write a kernel driver that receives input through
> a character device and sends raw input events, without ever knowing the
> existence of evdev. It still need a lot of tweaking regarding resolution
> and which events I should send and which not. (e.g. should I communicate
> the pressure if my data does not contain information about it? What about
> tool_width/major-axis and such?)

The only thing pressure is used for atm is for palm and thumb detection.
Given you're writing a virtual touchpad, you shouldn't need either.
Same for major/minor. Tool width is unused in libinput so I wouldn't bother
with it either.

> Anyway, with some trial and error the driver kinda works and I got to see
> 1:1 multitouch gesture on GNOME 40 :)
>
> Regarding performance: I use a userspace process to write to a character
> device which talks to my kernelspace code, maybe using evdev directly
> avoids some layers of abstraction? And in this way I don’t have to write
> any kernelspace code right?

correct, uinput is a module supported everywhere and would not
require a custom kernel module. Using it removes one moving part, you only
need the userspace process because everything else is already there (and
well-tested :)

Cheers,
   Peter