Multihead with wayland, similar to

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Thu May 27 06:23:06 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:01:39AM +0200, Pietro Battiston wrote:
> Dear devs,
>
> (not being an expert in Wayland at all) I have been trying in vain to
> find a solution to use another device as an additional monitor for my
> desktop.
>
> Other people seem to have tried, too¹ (trying to port to Wayland
> different approaches which could be used with Xorg), and at least at
> first glance, it doesn't seem like the found a solution.
>
> Is there one?

I don't know of any ready (portable) solutions for this, but with a bit
of plumbing work, it could be possible. The building blocks I'm thinking
of is Miracast and screen casting with a virtual monitor. A rough
summary what would be needed is:

 * Introduce "virtual" monitor screen recording to
   org.freedestop.portal.ScreenCast
   (https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal) and the portal
   backend relevant to you.

 * Teach e.g. GNOME Network Displays
   (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-network-displays) how to use
   virtual monitor recording.

 * Install a "Miracast sink" app on your device (TVs often have it built
   in)

You could probably replace the second two steps with some VNC/RDP thing,
but that will not work for many types of devices where Miracast do.

Jonas