Wayland color management: what profiles to accept?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:03:06 UTC 2021

Hi all,

as I don't know of a better way to contact color management people, I'm
sending this email Cc'd to many people who have been commenting before
over the many years. Sorry if I missed someone or if I'm bothering you.

In the Weston merge request adding the framework for tracking color
profiles arose the question: what ICC profile classes should a display
server accept? My thinking is in
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/merge_requests/637#note_1126564

Am I on the right track?

TL;DR: Display class profiles only, conversions between
camera/display/print domains is none of a display server's business.

I would prefer replies in Gitlab so they are associated with the MR,
but I'm happy to take emails on the mailing list as well.

Whether and how would you like to be contacted when there are more and
specific questions?

I would also like to take this opportunity to promote the color-and-hdr
documentation repository:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pq/color-and-hdr

This was split from the Wayland protocol merge request into a new
repository to widen its scope first to Linux DRM KMS specifics and then
to anything that might be relevant or related to Wayland CM&HDR and
beyond to any display and window systems. When we add more content
there, it is likely that I would like to have it reviewed by
experienced CM or HDR developers, so I would like to know if anyone was
willing to give a hand once in a while.

Finally, the two usual links about the work:

WIP Wayland protocol extension:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/14
(nothing new there in a long while, it waits for development focus to
shift again)

Weston implementation roadmap:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/467