Add z-order control into kiosk-shell?

Hoosier, Matt Matt.Hoosier at garmin.com
Tue Nov 16 22:18:39 UTC 2021

Eventually, it was decided that the patch proposed here isn't really appropriate for inclusion into the officially maintained Weston distribution. The clincher was that there's some language in the xdg-shell spec which forbids any surfaces positioned underneath an XDG surface set in fullscreen mode, from showing through.

That discussion spawned a couple of recommendations about how downstream users like me can implementing this style of use-case:

  *   Separately maintain useful -- but technically noncompliant -- patches such as this for public consumption.

  *   Maybe consider making some kind of vaguely kiosk-like shell which has a bunch of internally hooks which can be manipulated by user-defined scripts (perhaps in Lua) to achieve whatever scene-graph manipulations are wanted.

I wanted to float an idea for a third option: using a Wayland-on-Wayland architecture. For lack of better terms, I'm going to refer to the two compositors involved here as "inner" (runs the hardware DRM backend) and "outer" (feeds stuff to the inner compositor) to distinguish this situation from the traditional nested compositor that does all composition directly using the GPU. The inner compositor, which directly runs the physical DRM backend, would be Weston using fullscreen_shell. The outer compositor would be a very thin user-supplied compositor implementing whatever desired project-specific logic. The outer compositor would bind Weston's fullscreen_shell and directly model all application surfaces as subsurfaces of the singular toplevel surface allowed by fullscreen_shell.

Compared to classical nested compositing, this would offer strictly better access to hardware acceleration and 2D hardware optimizations, would require almost no internal bookkeeping in the outer compositor, and would allow us downstream people to write the outer compositor in whatever language seems convenient without intermixing with the raw Weston codebase.

I remember reading somewhere that fullscreen_shell was originally intended to be used in this way, with GDM running the DRM compositor and Mutter doing all its work using Wayland-on-Wayland. That seems to have fizzled out. Does anybody know why? Am I overlooking some obvious show-stopper here?