Window positions under wayland

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:41:11 UTC 2022

> This means it *does* have a standard for all windows and the behaviour is
predictable.

If this had flown in the real world, people would be using UWP apps on
Windows.
Enough people disliked that (on the most used desktop OS on the planet)
that MS had to backtrack and accept Win32's free-for-all API again.

e.g. how do you implement something equivalent to Rainmeter (
https://www.rainmeter.net/) or AutoHotKey (https://www.autohotkey.com/),
AutoIt (https://www.autoitscript.com/site/), Macro Creator (
https://www.macrocreator.com/), etc...
which could work on every Wayland-based system ? (No one wants to make apps
that only work on $COMPOSITOR - it's already hard enough to distribute
Linux apps with the flurry of existing distros, what's even the point in
spending the effort if
the portability matrix of a Linux software is now distro * compositor).
Likewise for things such as
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones or
https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook/ which have tens of thousands of users
(QuickLook has almost 1M downloads, it's likely more used than the average
niche Wayland compositors ; to try to make a Linux equivalent with the
little data we have, debian's popcon lists sway at 718 reports, versus 9800
for xdotool) ?

People here seem to have forgotten that people don't buy computers for
their compositors, but for the software that allows them to do cool stuff
with their machines - I don't know a lot of people who care
about "a standard for all windows" and a unified compositor behaviour
outside of this mailing-list, but a fair amount who want to be able to do
autohotkey-ish things for instance (which allows to entirely script and
control every window, capture all the input, etc).
Have a look at e.g. the question that people ask on
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoHotkey/ to have an idea of what are actual
human being's needs when using their computers,
or at why people need SetWindowPos on Win32:
https://stackoverflow.com/search?tab=newest&q=setwindowpos

It would make me pretty sad to tell these people (both end-users and devs)
that Windows is a better operating system for their use case than desktop
Linux.

Cheers,

Jean-Michaël

Jean-Michaël Celerier
*cto* ossia.io | *consulting inquiries* celtera.dev | *personal*
jcelerier.name
t: +336 81 31 53 08