Window positions under wayland

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Aug 5 11:35:31 UTC 2022

Hi all,

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 10:42, Jean-Michaël Celerier
<jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com> wrote:
> [lots of musing about win32 snipped]
>
> It would make me pretty sad to tell these people (both end-users and devs) that Windows is a better operating system for their use case than desktop Linux.

OK, this discussion is closed now.

For better or worse, Wayland will not have a standard protocol to get
and set window positions.

As Carsten and others have explained, specific targeted usecases - and
'I want to control the position of my toplevel window' is not a
usecase, it is a dictated solution to a number of very separate
problems - are addressed with specific new protocol extensions. As
said, Wayland is descriptive rather than prescriptive: the client
gives the compositor as much information is required to make good
decisions, rather than tells the compositor exactly to do with no
context.

To the other points raised: X11 still exists and will continue to for
a very long time. A lot of effort has gone into Xwayland to make X11
apps work completely seamlessly. If you do not want to use Wayland,
then no-one is forcing you to. Please feel free to continue using X11
if you feel that it works better for you or your apps. As to the
notion that users can force window managers to do bad things, the
simple answer is that if you don't want bad window management, then
don't use a bad window manager.

If you have specific targeted usecases that you want addressed, please
contribute to the development of those protocols in an issue on
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/. If you want
to discuss whether Wayland's fundamental design concepts are or aren't
a good idea, or whether Windows is bad, please take that discussion to
Hacker News or Reddit or something.

Cheers,
Daniel