How to test whether a buffer is in linear format

Hoosier, Matt Matt.Hoosier at garmin.com
Sat Aug 6 19:56:16 UTC 2022

Hi Pekka,

Thanks. If I paraphrase, I think you’re telling me that gbm_bo_get_modifiers() == 0 is not strong enough then.

That fits with the notes on the drm_fourcc.h declaration of the linear format flag:

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/include/uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h#L448

Any idea what’s up with some compositors adding code to infer DRM_FORMAT_MOD_LINEAR semantics when the buffer’s modifiers are set to 0? Wlroots, for example, added this as a “safety net for drm drivers not announcing modifiers”.

https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/wlroots/-/merge_requests/63

-Matt