Wheel scrolling: config to increase scrolling "distance" for each wheel click

Sébastien Wilmet swilmet at informatique-libre.be
Sun Aug 7 17:59:50 UTC 2022

Hi,

In order for me to move away from X11 and to use Wayland, I need a
replacement for the imwheel program.

With many applications on GNOME, a single wheel click scrolls a too
small distance (in pixels). I had a wrist inflammation several years
ago, which led me to use imwheel to scroll "faster", to require less
wheel clicks to scroll the same distance.

I use a multiplier of 3: for each "click", three clicks are sent. So
it's as if the scrolling wheel works 3 times faster. I will attach my
.imwheelrc config file, it can be useful.

I've read the relevant libinput docs, but it seems that this aspect is
not configurable. Is it with udev and hwdb, maybe? To fake the click
angle.

Some programs like Firefox provides a config for that, but not GTK or
GNOME, AFAIK. Maybe Qt/KDE provides such a config?

In all cases, if this feature is currently lacking (with an easy-to-use
configuration GUI, e.g. in gnome-control-center), where is the best
place to implement the configuration?

imwheel has the advantage that it works for all programs, so my initial
thought is that udev, hwdb or libinput would be a good place, then a
GUI to tune the config can be written.

If you have a link to some docs that I might have missed, or any
pointers, these will be much appreciated. I'm not the only person on
Linux who wants to configure this, after a quick web search.

Thanks in advance,
Sébastien