Position set/get prototype template

samuel ammonius sfammonius at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:24:12 UTC 2022

Hi Daniel,

I've just looked at the xdg-shell protocol as you said. I was really
surprised at the
amount of features it had, but one part in particular caught my eye:

    <request name="set_window_geometry">      <description
summary="set the new window geometry">	The window geometry of a
surface is its "visible bounds" from the	user's perspective.
Client-side decorations often have invisible	portions like
drop-shadows which should be ignored for the	purposes of aligning,
placing and constraining windows.	The window geometry is double
buffered, and will be applied at the	time wl_surface.commit of the
corresponding wl_surface is called.	Once the window geometry of the
surface is set, it is not possible to	unset it, and it will remain the
same until set_window_geometry is	called again, even if a new
subsurface or buffer is attached.	If never set, the value is the full
bounds of the surface,	including any subsurfaces. This updates
dynamically on every	commit. This unset is meant for extremely simple
clients.	The arguments are given in the surface-local coordinate space
of	the wl_surface associated with this xdg_surface.	The width and
height must be greater than zero. Setting an invalid size	will raise
an error. When applied, the effective window geometry will be	the set
window geometry clamped to the bounding rectangle of the	combined
geometry of the surface of the xdg_surface and the
associated	subsurfaces.      </description>*      <arg name="x"