Multi seat with nested servers?

Simon Zeni simon at bl4ckb0ne.ca
Fri Dec 9 15:17:46 UTC 2022

On Fri Dec 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM EST, Phillip Susi wrote:
> How does this leasing work?  Does it lease the entire GPU or can it
> lease only one display?  I would imagine it would be the entire GPU, in
> which case you couldn't lease it to both servers.

Using the drm-lease-v1 [1] protocol you can lease a connector, that would fit
perfectly for your use case.

> > In the root compositor case, the root server would indeed need to proxy
> > the input as well. That would maintain security.
>
> Why do you say that?

I believe its to prevent both compositor to handle both input device. Similar
to what the drm-lease-v1 does. The compositor asks for an input device and
become the owner of it. Other compositors could not listen to their events.

> > OTOH, in the leasing case, if the lease daemon is also leasing out
> > input devices (like seatd and logind already do today), input would not
> > need to be proxied.
>
> What is this leasing you speak of?  AFAIUI, logind just maintains a
> database of what input devices belong to what seats so that the display
> server can query it and find out which devices it should open.

Maybe it's an opportunity to draft a new protocol?

Simon

[1]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/blob/main/staging/drm-lease/drm-lease-v1.xml