How does "move cursor one word to the right" work in zwp_text_input_unstable_v3?

Carlos Garnacho carlosg at gnome.org
Sat Dec 17 13:25:17 UTC 2022

Hi Filip,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 12:09 PM Filip Filmar <filmil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I am exploring the features of the v3 text input API as seen at https://wayland.app/protocols/text-input-unstable-v3.
>
> I am curious, how does this API then implement operations such as "move cursor one word to the right" or "move cursor to the end of the line" or "move cursor to the end of the field"?

It currently does not. The text_input_v3 protocol does not offer
capabilities for altering the text caret position. See
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/73
for an action system that allows for caret navigation between other
things.

> I ask because, IIUC, the wayland side of this API does not know the entire string being edited - it can only instruct adding or removing the text surrounding the cursor position.

That is correct. The limited surrounding text snapshot is enough for
autocorrection and other advanced input features (e.g. context aware
text suggestions). Traditionally input methods have been
keyboard-driven, and caret navigation is already something done by the
client for the IM here. Non-keyboard-driven text input might welcome
these additional high-level actions, but it also would benefit of
toolkit buy-in besides compositors/IMs, it is not something clients
were used to being told to do.

Cheers,
  Carlos