General question about new API introduction in Wayland

Filip Filmar filmil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:47:25 UTC 2022

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 2:22 AM Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have you seen
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/blob/main/README.md
> already? It explains the general change procedure and sets expectations.

Hi, thank you for your explanation and the link.

I have read the README.md. It describes the mechanics of a protocol change,
which is very useful in itself.

However, my questions were mostly around the circumstances in which an idea
about a new protocol, or a protocol change may arise, and what decides how
that change then propagates to implementations.

Which you inferred, and explained in the rest of your message. So I think I
got the answer that I was after.